Dr. Ceren Tunca has graduated from Sabancı University Biological Sciences and Bioengineering Department and obtained MSc and PhD degrees under the academic mentorship of Prof. A. Nazlı Başak from Bogaziçi University in the Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics. Her PhD studies focused on understanding the molecular basis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) in Turkey and identifying novel genes and mutations. She has investigated the populational frequencies of disease-causing or disease-modifying common and rare genetic/epigenetic factors, using conventional and next generation sequencing (NGS) approaches in familial and sporadic ALS. Her graduate studies were funded by Suna and İnan Kıraç Foundation. Ceren has visisted Brown and Yale Universities as a short-term researcher during her graduate studies. Dr. Tunca’s current research at NDAL, aims to understand the complex genetics of ALS and to investigate phenotypic heterogeneity and incomplete penetrance in ALS. She uses NGS and bioinformatic tools to provide differential diagnosis to patients with atypical ALS and other motor neuron diseases with overlapping phenotypic features.
Öne Çıkan Yayınları/ Selected Publications
- Project MinE ALS Sequencing Consortium. CHCHD10 variants in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: Where is the evidence? Ann Neurol. 2018 Jul;84(1):110-116.
- Vural S, Vural A, Akçimen F, Bağci IS, Tunca C, Gündoğdu Eken A, Ruzicka T, Başak AN. Clinical and molecular characterization and response to acitretin in three families with Sjögren-Larsson syndrome. Int J Dermatol. 2018 Jul;57(7):843-848.
- Tunca C, Akçimen F, Coşkun C, Gündoğdu-Eken A, Kocoglu C, Çevik B, Bekircan-Kurt CE, Tan E, Başak AN. ERLIN1 mutations cause teenage-onset slowly progressive ALS in a large Turkish pedigree. Eur J Hum Genet. 2018 May;26(5):745-748.
- Hamzeiy H, Savaş D, Tunca C, Şen NE, Gündoğdu Eken A, Şahbaz I, Calini D, Tiloca C, Ticozzi N, Ratti A, Silani V, Başak AN. Elevated Global DNA Methylation Is Not Exclusive to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Is Also Observed in Spinocerebellar Ataxia Types 1 and 2. Neurodegener Dis. 2018;18(1):38-48.
- Bülbül NG, Seçil Y, Başak N, Beckmann Y, Türe HS, Tunca C, Özoğuz A. Two Families with SOD1 (L144F) and C9orf72 Gene Mutations and an Overview of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Turk J Neurol. 2018; 24(2): 159-164.
- Akçakaya NH, Yapıcı Z, Tunca C, Tektürk P, Akçimen F, Başak AN. A new splice-site mutation in SLC12A6 causing Andermann syndrome with motor neuronopathy. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2018 Oct;89(10):1123-1125.
- van Rheenen et al. Genome-wide association analyses identify new risk variants and the genetic architecture of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Nat Genet. 2016 Sep;48(9):1043-8.
- Iskender C*, Kartal E*, Akcimen F, Kocoglu C, Ozoguz A, Kotan D, Eraksoy M, Parman YG, Basak AN. Turkish families with juvenile motor neuron disease broaden the phenotypic spectrum of SPG11. Neurol Genet. 2015 Oct 8;1(3):e25.
- Özoğuz A, Uyan Ö, Birdal G, Iskender C, Kartal E, Lahut S, Ömür Ö, Agim ZS, Eken AG, Sen NE, Kavak P, Saygı C, Sapp PC, Keagle P, Parman Y, Tan E, Koç F,Deymeer F, Oflazer P, Hanağası H, Gürvit H, Bilgiç B, Durmuş H, Ertaş M, Kotan D, Akalın MA, Güllüoğlu H, Zarifoğlu M, Aysal F, Döşoğlu N, Bilguvar K, Günel M, Keskin Ö, Akgün T, Özçelik H, Landers JE, Brown RH, Başak AN. The distinct genetic pattern of ALS in Turkey and novel mutations. Neurobiol Aging. 2015 Apr;36(4):1764.e9-1764.e18.