Dr. Yunus Akkoc holds a bachelor’s degree from İstanbul Kültür University. He received his Ph.D. degree of Molecular Biology, Genetics and Bioengineering from Sabancı University, under the supervision of Dr. Devrim Gozuacik. His doctoral studies were focused on deciphering abnormalities of the autophagic machinery in cancers through investigating autophagy-regulating miRNAs and tumor microenvironment. Dr. Akkoc continues his postdoctoral studies to identify autophagy-associated novel pathways in cancer metastasis and dormancy.
- Treatment of breast cancer with autophagy inhibitory microRNAs carried by AGO2-conjugated nanoparticles. Unal O*, Akkoc Y*, Kocak M*, Nalbat E, Dogan-Ekici AI, Yagci Acar H, Gozuacik D. J Nanobiotechnology 2020, 18(65):1-18.
- MicroRNAs as a major regulator of the autophagy pathway. Akkoc Y. and Gozuacik D. Biochimica Biophysica Acta (BBA)-Molecular Cell Research 2019, 1867(5):118662.
- Bypassing pro-survival and resistance mechanisms of autophagy in EGFR-positive lung cancer cells by targeted delivery of 5FU using theranostic Ag2S quantum dots. Demir Duman F*., Akkoc Y*., Demirci G., Bavili N., Kiraz A., Gozuacik Dx., Yagci Acar, Hx. Journal of Materials Chemistry B 2019, 7(46):7363-7376.
- Minor cereals harbor superior antioxidant effects on human epithelial cells compared to common wheat cultivars. Akkoc Y., Lyubenova L., Grausgruber H., Janovská D., Yazıcı A., Çakmak Ix., Gozuacik Dx. Journal of Cereal Science 2019, 85:143-152.
- Surface modifications for phase change cooling applications via crenarchaeon Sulfolobus solfataricus P2 biocoatings. Motezakker A., Sadaghiani A.K., Akkoc Y., Parapari S.S, Gozuacik D., Kosar A. Scientific Reports 2017, 7(1):1-9.
- IBMPFD disease-causing mutant VCP/p97 proteins are targets of autophagic-lysosomal degradation. Bayraktar O, Oral O*, Kocaturk N.M.*, Akkoc Y., Eberhart K., Kosar A, Gozuacik D. Plos One 2016, 11(10): e0164864.