Dr. Yüksel Peker received his MD degree from Istanbul University School of Medicine in 1985. He moved to Sweden in 1987 and completed his internship in Internal Medicine followed by Pulmonary Medicine at the Skaraborg Education and Research Hospital, and University of Gothenburg Sahlgrenska Hospital, respectively. He received his PhD degree and Associate Professorship at the Pulmonary Department, University of Gothenburg in Sweden. He returned to Istanbul in 2015 as Professor of Pulmonary Medicine at the Marmara University, School of Medicine and founded the Sleep Medicine Center. He has been working as Professor at the Koc University, School of Medicine since December 2018.
Dr. Peker’s research has been mainly focused on the metabolic and cardiovascular aspects of sleep apnea and impact of treatment in randomized controlled trials, which have received a broad international response. He has been continuing his clinical research projects in Sweden as visiting senior researcher at the University of Gothenburg as well as at the Lund University. He has also an adjunct professorship at the University of Pittsburgh since 2017. He is also serving as Associate Editor for the Annals of the American Thoracic Society since 2017. Dr Peker has just initiated the foundation of a Multidisciplinary Sleep Medicine Research Laboratory at KUTTAM.
- Peker Y, Glantz H, Thunström E, Wegscheider K, Eulenburg C. Outcomes in Coronary Artery Disease Patients with Sleepy Obstructive Sleep Apnoea on CPAP. Eur Resp J 2017; 50(6). pii: 1700749. doi: 10.1183/13993003.00749-2017. Print 2017 Dec.
- Peker Y, Glantz H, Eulenburg C, Wegscheider K, Herlitz J, Thunström E. Effect of Positive Airway Pressure on Cardiovascular Outcomes in Coronary Artery Disease Patients with Non-Sleepy Obstructive Sleep Apnea: The RICCADSA Randomized Controlled Trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2016; 194: 613-620.
- Thunström E, Manhem K, Rosengren A, Peker Y. Blood Pressure Response to Losartan and Continuous Positive Airway Pressure in Hypertension and Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2016; 193: 310-320.
- Peker Y, Carlson J, Hedner J. Increased incidence of coronary artery disease in sleep apnoea: A long-term follow-up. Eur Respir J 2006; 28:596-602.
- Peker Y, Hedner J, Norum J, Kraiczi H, Carlson J. Increased incidence of cardiovascular disease in middle-aged men with obstructive sleep apnea: A 7-year follow-up. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002; 166: 159-165.