Dr Muhammed Yüksel acquired his Bachelor, Master and PhD degrees at Ghent University Hospital in Belgium. His PhD in immunology was about the “Validation of a mouse model of autoimmune hepatitis (AIH)” and after the first 1,5 years at Ghent University, he went to Yale University (USA) for over 2 years and established two mouse models of AIH in NOD mouse expressing HLA-DR3 or HLA-DR4. Following his extensive immunologic training at Yale he went on to apply this knowledge at The Institute of Liver Studies at King’s College London (UK), elucidating human AIH. Consequently, Dr Yuksel is investigating the pathophysiology of AIH in children, adults and pregnant women since 2010 gaining awards from European/American institutions such as EASL, AASLD, VVGE and ESGHAN. Notably, the complex interplay between class-II HLA’s (DR3, DR7 and DR13 among others) and regulatory T cells (Tregs) dysfunction and mechanisms of treatment failure in AIH is his main interest. There is compelling evidence that new agents such as interleukin-2 and short chain fatty acids can correct Tregs dysfunction. Even more, the elucidation of genetic variations in AIH through an unbiased method such as next generation sequencing (NGS) is paramount to (i) understand and on long-term to (ii) control and eventually cure AIH.
- Jassem W, Xystrakis E*, Ghnewa YG*, Yuksel M, Pop O, Martinez-Llordella M, Jabri Y, Huang X, Lozano JJ, Quaglia A, Sanchez-Fueyo A, Coussios CC, Rela M, Friend P, Heaton N, Ma Y. Normothermic machine perfusion (NMP) inhibits proinflammatory responses in the liver and promotes regeneration. Hepatology. 2018 Dec 18. doi: 10.1002/hep.30475. (IF=14) * Shared first authorship.
- Yuksel M*, Xiao X*, Tai N, Manakkat Vijay G, Gülden E, Beland K, Lapierre P, Alvarez F, Hu Z, Colle I, Ma Y and Wen L. The induction of autoimmune hepatitis in HLA-DR4 NOD mice. Clinical Experimental Immunology 2016 July doi: 10.1111/cei.1284 (IF=3.148) * Shared first authorship
- Yuksel M*, Wang Y*, Tai N, Peng J, Guo J, Beland K, Lapierre P, David C, Alvarez F, Colle I, Yan H, Mieli-Vergani G, Vergani D, Ma Y and Wen L. A novel “humanized mouse” model for autoimmune hepatitis and the association of gut microbiota with liver inflammation. Hepatology 2015 July;62(5):1536-50. (IF:11.055) * Shared first authorship
- Xystrakis E*, Yuksel M*, Lin F, Huang X, Tiberiu PO, Quaglia A, Heaton N, Prachalias A, Rela M, Fuggle S, Ma Y and Jassem W. Impact of donation mode on the proportion and function of T lymphocytes in the liver. PLOS One 2015Oct 29;10(10):e0139791. doi: 10.1371 (IF:3.234) * Shared first authorship
- Liberal R, Grant C, Yuksel M, Graham J, Kalbasi A, Ma Y, Heneghan M, Diego Vergani, Vergani GM, Vergani D, Longhi MS. Treg conditioning endows activated Teff with suppressor function in autoimmune hepatitis/autoimmune sclerosing cholangitis. Hepatology 2017 (IF:11.71)
- Halim L, Romano M, McGregor R, Correa I, Pavlidis P, Grageda N, Hoong SJ, Yuksel M, Jassem W, Hannen RF, Ong M, Mckinney O, Hayee B, Karagiannis SN, Powell N, Lechler RI, Nova-Lamperti E, Lombardi G. An Atlas of Human Regulatory T Helper-like Cells Reveals Features of Th2-like Tregs that Support a Tumorigenic Environment. Cell Rep.2017 Jul 18;20(3):757-770.
- Triantafyllou E, Pop OT, Possamai LA, Wilhelm A, Liaskou E, Singanayagam A, Bernsmeier C, Khamri W, Petts G, Dargue R, Davies SP, Tickle J,Yuksel M, Patel VC, Abeles RD, Stamataki Z, Curbishley SM, Ma Y, Wilson ID, Coen M, Woollard KJ, Quaglia A, Wendon J, Thursz MR, Adams DH, Weston CJ, Antoniades CG. MerTK expressing hepatic macrophages promote the resolution of inflammation in acute liver Gut 2017 Apr 27; doi: 10.1136 (IF:14.97)
- Wang Y, Hu C, Chao C, Yuksel M, Colle I, Flavell RA, Ma Y, Yan H and Wen L. Role of IRAK-M in alcohol induced liver injury. PLOS One 2013; 8(2): e57085 (IF:3.534)
- Yuksel M, Laukens D, Heindryckx F, Van Vlierberghe H, Geerts A, Wong FS, Wen L and Colle I. Hepatitis mouse models: from acute-to-chronic autoimmune hepatitis (review). International Journal of Experimental Pathology 2014; 95: 309-320 (IF:2.052)